Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Portland

I just can't rave enough about the liberating feeling of traveling alone. I have done a lot of traveling in my days, but have never gone somewhere and not known a soul. Thus my journey begins. I love to run and have somehow incorporated it into another passion of mine traveling, in short I run marathons in places I have never been before in order to explore the unknown. My adventurous spirit led me to Portland, OR a city I owe more than any currency can buy. I feel like it is important to preface this story with my history--never had a serious boyfriend, don't go on alot of dates, and busy medical student. From the moment I set foot in oregon my luck was on the up and up. First of all the people were amazing; everyone so friendly and kind always willing to help a girl out from directions to shopping. My hotel AMAZING (check it out) It was the local gathering place for natives of portland and guests. On the Max(their public transportation) I struck a conversation up with the guy standing next to me. It was one stop later and he asked me if I would like to do dinner. Like that....my entire dating percentage had gone up by 50 %. I went and had a lovely time no expectations of if he was going to call or if i ever wanted to see him again it was just people getting to know people.

There are many things that I delight in and one of them is a good farmer's market. I cannot express to anyone the innate beauty that was before me. I just remember standing in the middle of the market with tears streaming down my face. It truly was one of the most gorgeous displays of fruits and vegetables my eyes have ever seen. I walked around as if in a trance from one fruit vender to the next. I even asked the perfect artichoke vender wearing a scarf the perfect color of artichoke green if i could take her picture. I not only was enchanted by the lifestye of the city, but also the vibe that resonated within its city borders.

I think it is comical how life has a way of handing you exactly what you need. I was studying in the lobby of my hotel in the foyer. I remember this mysteriously handsome young man sat next to me. I continued reading about parasitic worms as if i had some interest in them, but all i could think about was how the guy next to me might be a model. It just happened he asked me about my light reading and from there it's history. We chatted for the next hour about life, books, and the city. As I got up to leave for dinner, I will never forget how the thin, blonde hair, perfect smile guy asked lil' ol me if I wanted to have dinner tomorrow. In the world of Jen Pasko this is an anomaly. Things like this don't happen. I wasn't about to let this opportunity pass me by.

This date I guess for a lack of a better word was probably one of the most sexually liberating experiences you can only imagine in movies. He picks me up, and in all honesty I was nervous, he had drove his car and all I could think of as I hopped in was OH MY GOSH HE IS GOING TO CHOP ME UP INTO LITTLE PIECES..........I mean I had only know the guy a total of 2hrs. Yet, he took me to this vegetarian sanctuary where I dined,wined, and laughed all evening. However, all good things come to an end. As we pulled up to my hotel, I kept thinking ok when are we going to make out... but nothing. So I said goodbye, confused and headed up to bed. I had just slipped into my pajamas when I received a text message. The text was from Riley: I know its late but I don't know if I will ever see you again and I didn't even kiss you even though I wanted to is it to late to stop by? Ok cheesy...call me a sucker -it worked. I replied with smile and a chuckle- meet me on the mezzanine. I tromped down the stairs with my side ponytail and pj's and was greeted by that all too gorgeous face. We sat down on these bar stools and just started making out. Believe me, if you knew me not really my style in any other circumstance this never would have happened...Ever. I just remember laughing as people sauntered upstairs as I was participating in the most public display of affection of my life. Perhaps the thing that struck me most was the gentle tremble of his hand that caressed the small of my back. He trembled while I was as cool and calm as I had ever been and couldn't help but smile. The thought that this gorgeous man was nervous or at most vulnerable was one of the most beautiful discoveries of this entire trip. I will never forget Riley though I think we both knew we would never see each other again, maybe that is what made it that much more exciting. Yet, I will be forever grateful for the new found confidence that he instilled in me, and the brief moment that he let me capture my very own"Scarlet O'hara" moment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

jen, i love your blog. i will be an avid follower. i'm in nebraska this weekend and joce asked about you. we really want to travel with you again!

Jen Pasko said...

Laura-

I am still trying to navigate on this thing I hope you get this....I miss you all so much I say we all should plan a lil' reunion.....I meant to ask you about 2nd year med school....Ugh!